The ‘76 House is New York’s oldest tavern; a three hundred year old structure lovingly restored to pristine condition by the Norden Family.
Listed as a National Landmark, the restaurant offers even more than historical significance. Today, patrons enjoy fabulous food prepared by our acclaimed chef in a comfortable and hospitable atmosphere. Four glowing fireplaces, live music, our famous Sunday brunch and eagerly anticipated monthly wine dinners have elevated the ’76 House to one of the area’s top dining destinations.
The Old ’76 House is not simply one of America’s oldest taverns. Built in 1668, The Old ’76 House had a profound effect on the outcome of The Revolutionary War. Through its long use as a meeting place for patriots, The Old ’76 House established itself as safe ground for Americans when the air was rife with revolution and the tavern itself served as the “prison” of the Revolution’s most notorious spy, Major John Andre.
That is why The Old ’76 House is often referred to as “Andre’s Prison”, not a real prison, in fact never having been a place of incarceration for anyone before or since. On the contrary, The Old ’76 House has been a haven for many a weary traveler for more than two hundred years.
Selections from The 76 House Menu:
- Chilled Gazpacho Soup poached shrimp garnish
- Iced Oysters on the Half – served by the half dozen, mignonette, cocktail sauce, lemon
- Duck Wings honey, orange, chili
- Grilled Octopus and Shrimp Ceviche Salad lime, avocado, jalapeño
- Sweet Summer Corn Ravioli – housemade, parmesan-chive emulsion, smoked shiitake mushrooms
- Jumbo Dry Sea Scallops – skillet-seared, cherry tomato, sweet corn & bacon sauté, red pepper coulis
- Gnocchi Bolognese – housemade, authentic soffritto, beef, veal and pork slow simmered
- Cherry Wood Smoked Baby Back Ribs – cheddar-jalapeño cornbread, BBQ beans, 76 slaw
- The 76 Tavern Burger – caramelized onion, mushroom, bacon, swiss, bordelaise 19
fried egg (optional), French fries
- New York Angus Sirloin ‘76 – 16 oz. hand cut, 76 steak sauce, potato-mushroom gratin, creamed spinach, maitre d’ butter