Calcutta Wrap & Roll is the result of a passion for and appreciation of homestyle cooking, in all its wealth and variety, as it has evolved through the ages, lovingly tended to on the earthen chullahs (stoves) in Indian kitchens. The judicious use of herbs and spices is the very essence of Indian cuisine and every home-cook has been keenly aware of the aromatic, flavorful and medicinal qualities of Nature’s pantry.
Calcutta Wrap and Roll attempts to recreate that fresh off-the-chullah taste of home cooking, while it tells the story of these age-old spices and how they have been used in varied proportions and combinations in different parts of India. Every spice has its own place in a specific preparation. This order of layering the spices in a particular way varies according to region and culture and hence, each dish has a different story to tell regarding its origin and evolution. We, at Calcuttta Wrap & Roll, have tried to bring specialties from different corners of India for you to sample.
Selections From The Calcutta Wrap and Roll Menu:
- Vegetable Samosa V – Crispy fried triangular patties stuffed with our special potato, pea & cauliflower filling. Served with our specially made mint-cilantro & date-tamarind chutneys.
- Calcutta Paneer Roll – Pan-fried Paratha wrap filled with sautéed paneer cheese & our special blend of spices, herbs & (optional) onions (with or without Egg)ially made mint-cilantro & date-tamarind chutneys
- Calcutta Chicken Roll – Pan-fried Paratha wrap filled with sautéed chicken & our special blend of spices, herbs & (optional) onions. (with or without Egg)
- Chicken Reshmi Kebab Roll – Pan-fried paratha wrap filled with boneless chicken marinated in a silky cream sauce and cooked in the tandoor.
- Tandoori Shrimp Roll – Pan-fried paratha wrap filled with shrimp cooked in the tandoor, blended with herbs and spices.
- Aloo Bhindi HOUSE SPECIAL V&G – Okra & potatoes tempered with aromatic whole spices & cooked with onions & fresh tomatoes.
- Baigan Bhartha V&G – Eggplant roasted, mashed and sautéed with onions & fresh tomatoes and garnished with cilantro.
- Chicken Vindaloo G (white meat) – Chicken in a spicy, vinegar-based hot sauce.
- Goat Curry HOUSE SPECIAL G – Goat cooked in a rich & spicy onion-ginger-garlic sauce
- Lamb Korma G – Boneless Lamb cooked in a delicately-spiced nutty cream sauce
- Goan Fish Curry G – Boneless Tilapia cooked in a spicy sauce with whole mustard seeds & vinegar. A West Coast classic!
- Coconut Fish G CHEF’S SPECIAL – A specialty of the Malabar Coast, this flavorful boneless fish dish is cooked with coconut and tamarind
- Vegetable Biryani V&G – Aromatic long-grained Basmati rice & vegetables cooked Moghlai-style & flavored with our special blend of herbs & spices. Served with Raita (yogurt with cucumber, tomatoes, onions & spices)
- Lamb or Goat Biryani G – Aromatic long-grained Basmati rice cooked with either lamb or goat & flavored with our special blend of herbs & spices. Served with Raita (yogurt with cucumber, tomatoes, onions & spices)
- Rosomalai – Homemade cheese discs soaked in thickened milk and garnished with cardamon and pistachio
- Calcutta Gulab Jamun HOUSE SPECIAL – Deep fried cheese dumplings soaked in flavorful sugar syrup