People’s Place is a thrift store and food pantry located in Kingston NY, operating as a 501c3 not-for-profit organization.
Founded in 1972, our mission is to feed, clothe and respond to the essential needs of the people in Ulster County with kindness, compassion and the preservation of human dignity. Providing these services in a caring environment, we aim to sustain health and provide the opportunity for individuals to meet their full potential.
People’s Place runs a number of high impact community programs:
- Summer Bookworm Program – This program provides books appropriate for school age children to any parent or guardian who visits our location during June, July and August.
- Back to School Smart Starts – During September we offer school supplies such as notebooks, pens, crayons, paper, and backpacks to families in need throughout Ulster County.
- It’s a Thanksgiving Feast – provides a turkey and all the “fixings” for a holiday feast to families who pre-register during October and November.
- Warm Coats from Warm Hearts – Individuals and families in need can visit our location from November to March and receive a free coat.
- Jolly Holiday Toy Give-A-Way – Every December, we gift local Ulster County children with a package containing toys, board games, books, and winter weather clothing.
- Your Choice Food Pantry – Our “Your Choice” Food Pantry supplies fresh, frozen, canned and boxed food that equals at least three days’ worth of meals to our needy community.
- The Personal Care Closet – Located inside the food pantry area, this offers families and individuals free items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and deodorant.
- Dress for Dignity – Twice a year, qualifying individuals can shop our thrift store for free clothing to help them stretch their dollars.
- Birthday Booth – In May 2015 we began a program to help recipients celebrate their children’s birthdays. 64 parents and guardians selected an age appropriate birthday present and party supplies from our Birthday Booth.
- Farm Stand – This seasonal program which runs from May – November offers fresh produce from local Hudson Valley Farms. On average, we provide fresh produce to over 1,300 people each Tuesday.