Image from Bottini Properties
Anyone who has visited Pawling Village in Dutchess County, NY, has probably noticed the Dutcher House that dominates the village vista.
While the Dutcher House does not have a remarkable history, it does however have an interesting niche history that speaks to the development of the area and gives a pleasing insight into days gone by in Pawling Village.
The Dutcher House was built by John Bowdish Dutcher in 1882 – 1884. Dutcher was born in Dover, NY in Dutchess County in 1830, and was the son of a cattle broker. In 1857 he served as supervisor of Dover NY, also in Dutchess County. In 1860 he married Christina Dodge and they settled in Pawling NY.
Between 1861 and 1865 Dutcher served in both houses of the NY Legislature and in 1864 he was appointed Director of the NY and Harlem Railroad. He also served as President of the National Bank of Pawling, and owned a number of farms in the area, one of which eventually become home to the Trinity-Pawling School. Local history speaks well of Dutcher as a public spirited businessman who did much to help and support area development.