The Ulster County SPCA is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to prevent cruelty to animals by providing temporary shelter and finding adoptive homes for homeless, abused and neglected animals; conducting cruelty investigations; eliminating the crisis of homeless animals by providing low-cost spay/neuter services for cats and by spaying or neutering all animals offered for adoption; providing humane education and by working to improve laws to end animal cruelty.
The Board, staff and volunteers of the Ulster County SPCA champion the following core values:
- Dedication: Serving the animals so they may enjoy the highest quality of life that they can achieve.
- Respect: Holding the value of life in high esteem, honoring diverse backgrounds of people and animals, and exhibiting a high level of courtesy.
- Learning: Committing ourselves to continuous education and training to foster improvement and implement best practices.
- Integrity: Doing the right thing for the right reason, representing our field working honestly, and providing a positive example of ethical and principle-based behavior.
- Excellence: Striving for excellence through planning, evaluation, and accountability.
- Innovation: Questioning the status quo, building on current success, and offering new ways to improve the system of services as well as one’s performance.
Available for adoption are cats, dogs, farm animals and small critters.To adopt a shelter animal, please visit an animal’s individual profile and click the “Adopt Me” button. Applications can only be filled out for individual, available animals. Ulster County SPCA staff will review your application and contact you for an Adoption Interview either via phone or video chat within a week. If it’s a good on-paper fit, you will be invited for an appointment to meet the animal and finalize the adoption.
Happy Paws Thrift Store
Ulster County SPCA has a thrift store in Saugerties. All benefits from Happy Paws go to the shelter and it’s animals. New merchandise arrives daily thanks to your great donations.
If you are looking for antiques, art, books, clothing, kitchenware, home decor, glassware, lamps, linens and so much more we are the place to shop.
Open Monday 12pm-4pm, Wednesday through Sunday 12pm-4pm.
Closed on Tuesdays
Located in the Village of Saugerties at 282 Main Street.