Oakwood Friends School is New York State’s oldest co-educational boarding and day school. It is an independent, college preparatory school serving grades 6-12. Devoted since its inception to the fundamental Quaker belief that “there is that of God in every person,” Oakwood Friends puts this belief into practice by focusing on the individual learner, and cultivating a diversified community of students and staff in an atmosphere of mutual respect and enrichment.
Oakwood Friends School , guided by Quaker principles, educates and strengthens young people for lives of conscience, compassion and accomplishment. Students experience a challenging curriculum within a diverse community, dedicated to nurturing the spirit, the scholar, the artist and the athlete in each person.
Oakwood Friends School
- Provides rigorous academic preparation based on primary texts and hands-on learning.
- Respects the mind and imagination of students and focuses on intellectual skills and habits.
- Encourages powerful thinkers whose abilities are nurtured through artful teaching, thoughtful assessment, and individual attention.
- Fosters an accepting environment based upon the Quaker principle that each individual is worthy and capable of meaningful insight and truth.
- Provides an array of opportunities in the arts, athletics, and learning experiences beyond the campus to encourage creativity, self-expression, cooperation, and team-work.
- Guides students toward the responsibilities of community life and community involvement, through leadership and service both on the campus and beyond.
- Creates and sustains a vibrant residential and educational community that embraces students in grades six through twelve as well as faculty and families representing every stage of life and a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds.