The Red Onion prides itself on its menu of fresh, hand- made food, properly made cocktails and well-chosen beer and wines-by-the-glass, house-made pastas and desserts, daily seafood specials, delicious soups, sauces and individualized vegetable garnishes.
Located in an historic pre- 1850 farmhouse on the main road between Woodstock and Saugerties, 3 miles east of Woodstock. While the building has served as both a business venue and private home over the last century and a half, it is mostly remembered for its resident ghost. In the late 19th century, the building was known to be a “house of ill repute”. One winter day in 1937, one of its “ladies of the evening” was discovered outside, dead in a snow drift. It is conjectured that she is the specter that haunts The Red Onion to this day. Alas, most people now come for the great food, drinks and relaxed ambiance.
Selections from The Red Onion Restaurant & Bar
- House-Cured Sardines ~ Pickled Candy Cane Beet s, Olives, Shaved Celery, Grilled Bread
- Thai Style Mussels ~ Steamed w.Lime Leaf, Chiles, Coconut Milk & Mint
- The Red Onion Caesar ~ Chopped Romaine Leaves, Red Onion,Tangy Caesar Vinaigrette, Shaved Grana Padano, Garlic Croutons
- House-Made Ravioli ~ Goat Cheese & Ricotta Filling, Arugula, Pine Nuts, Mushrooms & Truffle Oil
- Prosciuto Wrapped Monkfish ~ Long Cooked Mushroom & Herb Polenta, Sauteed Spinach
- Natural Chicken Breast ~ Porcini Mushroom-Tarragon Sauce, Whipped Potatoes,, Honey-Glazed Carrots
- Roast One Pound Rack of Lamb ~ Whipped Potatoes, Minted Peas, Pearl Onions, Red Wine Sauce
- Hamburger ~ Half Pound of Ground Brisket & Chuck Steak, Challah Bun, Crispy French Fries
- Vegetable Curry ~ Seasonal Vegetables in a Spicy Yellow Thai Curry Sauce with Lime Scented Basmati Rice