Calcutta Wrap & Roll offers delicious Indian food to go. They recreate that fresh off-the-chullah taste of home cooking, while telling the story of these age-old spices and how they have been used in varied proportions and combinations in different parts of India.
Calcutta Wrap & Roll is the result of a passion for and appreciation of homestyle cooking, in all its wealth and variety, as it has evolved through the ages, lovingly tended to on the earthen chullahs (stoves) in Indian kitchens. The judicious use of herbs and spices is the very essence of Indian cuisine and every home-cook has been keenly aware of the aromatic, flavorful and medicinal qualities of Nature’s pantry.
Every spice has its own place in a specific preparation. This order of layering the spices in a particular way varies according to region and culture and hence, each dish has a different story to tell regarding its origin and evolution. Calcuttta Wrap & Roll has tried to bring specialties from different corners of India for you to sample.
From the Calcutta Wrap & Roll Menu:
- Bengali Ghugni Bengal Gram (white peas) – cooked with mild spices and garnished with fresh ginger, red onion, cilantro and tomato.
- Calcutta Lamb Roll: House Special – Pan-fried Paratha wrap filled with succulent pieces of Tandoori lamb and our special blend of spices, herbs and (optional) onions. This highly flavorful appetizer is a Calcutta specialty!
- Malai Kofta (Piyali’s Choice) – Paneer cheese and vegetable dumplings in a silky, cream sauce. A Punjabi delicacy.
- Coconut Fish – A specialty of the Malabar Coast, this flavorful boneless fish is cooked with coconut and tamarind
- Chicken Karhai (HOT) – Chicken cooked in a thick, spicy sauce with red onion, crushed coriander seed, cumin & fresh ginger
- Aloo Tamatar – Potatoes and tomatoes cooked in a mild, cumin-flavored sauce & garnished with cilantro. Very simple and flavorful. VEGAN and GLUTEN-FREE.
- Matar Paneer – Paneer (homemade cheese) cubes & green peas cooked in a delicately-spiced onion gravy, with light cream and tomatoes
- Chicken Curry – Chicken (on the bone or boneless-white meat) cooked in our special home-style sauce with onions, ginger & garlic & tempered with spices
- Chicken Chettinad (Chef’s Special) HOT – A Southern Indian (Tamil Nadu) specialty, this fiery and flavorful chicken dish is cooked with peppercorn, fennel and cumin seeds and seasoned with fresh curry leaves
- Vegetable Samosa – Crispy fried triangular patties stuffed with our special potato & pea filling. Served with Calcutta’s special mint-cilantro & date-tamarind chutneys. VEGAN
- Aloo Gobi (Hugo’s Choice) – Cauliflower and potatoes cooked with fresh ginger and tomato and seasoned with whole cumin. Simple, yet aromatic, fresh and flavorful, this dish is VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE.
- Chicken Biryani – Aromatic long-grained Basmati rice cooked with chicken and flavored with our special blend of herbs and spices. On the bone or boneless-white meat. Served with Raita (yogurt with cucumber, tomatoes, red onions and spices)
- Rosomalai (Dessert( – Homemade cheese discs soaked in rich, creamy thickened milk, sprinkled with rose-water and garnished with cardamom and pistachio. A mouth-watering Bengali treat!