Kaatsbaan International Dance Center is a permanent international dance center dedicated to the growth, advancement and preservation of professional dance. Kaatsbaan provides a creative residence in an aesthetically inspirational and healthy working environment for dance-related artists from all disciplines and ethnic backgrounds.
Kaatsbaan Studio Theatre
All performances take place in the Kaatsbaan Studio Theatre. The theatre has a 160 seats with a performance floor the size of the stage at the Metropolitan Opera. Each audience member is guaranteed an excellent seat and an intimate dance experience.
Kaatsbaan International Dance Center was designed to provide national and international dance companies, choreographers and all dance artists with an affordable year round facility where they can experiment, create, rehearse, perform, showcase new work, train, and develop new sets, costumes and productions. It serves as a year round campus where dance artists may interact as a diverse community designed to stimulate the development and growth of dance as an art form.
The vision of Kaatsbaan, Dutch for “playing field,” is a unique dream factory for the creative process…a playing field for the imagination.
The vision of Kaatsbaan International Dance Center includes:
• 7 professional dance studios,
• accommodations for 90 dancers and dance related artists,
• a lodge, dining hall, and conference room complex,
• a 160 seat studio workshop theater,
• a 1,200 seat performance theater equipped for video production,
• a visitors’ center with retail shops and exhibition galleries and
• a set and costume production facility named after designer Oliver Smith.